One of the immigrants bringing family to eastern Long Island, probably arriving at South Hampton in 1640. The family moved for about three years to Stamfod, CT, but had returned to Hempstead by 1644 and South Hampton by 1647. Relocated to Elizabethtown, NJ in 1665.90
Biographical Notes About John OGDEN (1609-1682) The Pilgrim
Birth, Marriage and Emigration:
John Ogden was born September 19, 1609 in Bradley Plain, Hampshire, England. On May 8, 1637 he married Jane Bond, daughter of Jonathan Bond. While in England they had three children, including a set of twins. He sold his property on October 18, 1639 (including a house, garden, orchard, four acres of pasture and two acres of woodland) to Ezekiel Howard of Bradley Plain and sailed with Pilgrim companions to Southampton, Long Island. The vessel he sailed on is not known. He was a leader in the settlng of Southampton and was granted land (on 17 April 1640) and took up residence on a tract on the south edge of Southampton known then as Shinnecock Hill.
Care must be taken to distinguish between John Ogden of Rye who came first to Rye and then moved to Connecticut and his cousin, John Ogden the Pilgrim, who resided initially on Long Islad and later in Elizabethtown, NJ.
John Ogden of Rye was 9 years older, the son of Thomas Ogden (b 1565) and came to the New Haven Colony in 1638, two years before John Ogden the Pilgrim came to Long Island, and was one of the first settlers of Stamford, CT. He is closely associated with his father-in-law John Budd, whose daughter Judith became his second wife 19 April 1638.
Early Years on Long Island
John Ogden and his brother Richard were the builders of Gov. Kieft’s stone church within the New Amsterdam fort. Building began in 1642 and was slowed by the Indian Wars and finished by 1652. The church was destroyed by fire in the mid 1700s.
In 1644 he was living in Stamford, CT and (with Rev. Robert Fordham, John Stricklan, John Karman, John Lawrence and Jonas Wood) received a grant on Nov 1st 1644 from Gov. William Kieft (Dutch governor of the New Netherlands) for a tract of land on the great plains of Long Isalnd “from the East River to the South Sea and from a certain harbor commonly called Hempstead Bay and westward as far as Matthew Garritson’s Bay.” They were empowered to settle 100 families and build a town with necessary fortifications, and “erect a body politic” and nominate magistrates. After several years in Hempstead he became dissatisfied with what he felt was inhumane treatment of Native Americans by the Dutch Government and he removed to the eastern end of Long Island to live with his countrymen.
In 1647 he recieved permission of the Southampton authorities to plant a colony of six families at “North Sea” (Great Peconic Bay) and several years later he established there the settlement of Northampton.
During these years he became interested in whaling and in 1650 he and his company received permission to kill whales in the waters off Southampton.
On March 31st, 1650 he was made Freeman (“Southampton Aprill. It is ordered uppon the 31st of March 1650 by the General Court that Mr. Thomas Topping and Mr. Iohn Ogden were chosen freemen of this towne of Southampton aforesayde.”)
He was elected magistrate of Southampton on October 7th 1650 (along with Edward Howell and Thomas Topping) and was re-elcted on October 6th, 1651 and October 6th 1659.
In March of 1651 John Ogden and Richard Mills entered legal complaints of trespass against each other and on March 11, 1651 a jury found for John Ogden in both actions (40 shillings damages plus court costs).
On March 6th, 1657 Mr Ogden was one of six men chosen at town meeting to arbitrate a land dispute with East Hampton.
John Ogden was very active in civil affairs. He is mentioned as sitting on many juries and held various offices including sitting on the General Court as Representative from Southampton in 1659 and the Upper House in 1661. He also is recorded in multiple real estate transactions, including Wyandanch’s deed of ands to him, witnessed by Lion and David Gardiner.
Removal to Elizabethtown, NJ
At the age of 54 and after 24 years on Long Island he sold his multiple land holdings in preparation for a move to New Jersey. He secured a patent from Gov. Nicolls of New Jersey: The Elizabeth Town Patent was granted December 1st 1664 by Governor Richard Nicolls under his Royal Highness ye Duke of York to Capt. John Baker of New Yorke, John Ogden of Northampton, John Baily and Luke Watson of Jemaico on Long Island. They received a parcel of land bounded on the south by the Raritan River, on the east by “the sea which partes State Island and the Main,” to the north to the first river running westward after Cull bay and to the west twice the breadth of its extent from North to south. Interestingly, John Ogden and his associates first obtained consent of habitation and purchased the land from the Indians one month before receiving the patent from the English governor (400 fathom of white wampum).
John Ogden was in the first group of 65 to take the oath of allegiace to King Charles II on Feb 19, 1665 and was settled in the Elizabeth Town tract by August 1665. His house was located on Point Road, later called Elizabeth Avenue. The town was named after Lady Elizabeth, wife of Sir George Carteret, who, with John, Lord Berkeley, was granted in 1664 the territory of Nova Caesara by the Duke of York. The proprietor Sir George Carteret and John, Lord Berkeley, appoointed Phillip Carteret as first Proprietary Governor.
John Ogden was appointed Just of the Peace on October 26, 1665 by Carteret: “Whereas, I have conceived a good Opinion of the ability prudence and Integrity of you John Ogden Gentleman, In the management of Publique affairs, I have therefore thought fitt, & doe by these presents Constitute & appoint you the said John Ogden to beare the Office of a Justice of the Peace in the Province of New-Jarsey, Giving you the full power and authority to execute all such Laws, as are or shall be made for the good goverment of the said Province....”
John Ogden was commissioned by Carteret a member of the Council and Deputy Governor.
When the boundary between Elizabethtown and Newark needed adjudication, John Ogden (with Luke Watson, Robert Bond, and Jeffry Jones) were selected to meet with the commissioners from Newark to establish the ine. They met May 20th, 1668 and successfully and peacably determined the line.
In 1668, John Ogden was selected and served as a Burgess in the Legislature consituted at Elizabethtown. At this time he had a mill and was still involved in the whaling trade.
In the late 1660s and early 1670s John Ogden was active in a political dispute. Gov. Carteret had angered the Elizabeth Town colonists by giving away lands within what they felt was their tract. As tensions mounted, in March 1672 Governor Carteret and his Secreatary William Pardon destroyed the records of the General Asembly of March 26th 1672 and fled to Bergen. There the refugee governor convened a council and issued a proclamation, charging the residents of Elizabethtown with “attempting to make alterations in the Government” and “a tendency to mutiny and rebellion.” Governor Winthrop of Connecticut wrote on Juy 2nd 1673 to Governor Sir George Carteret in London in support of the Elizabethtown settlers, and metnions Mr. John Ogden by name. At this time, in July 1673, the Dutch retook New York and the English settlers at Elizabethtown (and Newark, Woodbridge, Piscattaway, Middletown, and Shrewsbury) petitioned the Dutch, who granted the colonists “all their former priviledges.” The Dutch Generals and Council of War made John Ogden “Schout” or Sheriff of the six towns on September 1, 1673 and he and Samuel Hopkins were instructed to take an inventory of the late Gov. Carteret’s estate.
For the next year or two, the colony was quiet and Ogden was virtually governor of the English towns in New Jersey. However, the Dutch rule ended with a treat of peace sined at Westminster in England on February 9th, 1674, returning Jersey to Dutch rule as of November 1674. Captain Philip Carteret returned from England after his two year absence (on the same vessel with his kinsman Col. Edmund Andros, the newly appointed Governor of New York) to govern for Sir George Carteret who was now sole proprietor of East Jersey and had power “to settle and dispose of the country upon such terms and conditions as he shall see fit.” All the concessions and patents issued during British rule by Nicolls were declared void and the settlers were required to apply to thhe Surveyor General by May 15, 1675 or their lands and improvements would be declared confiscated. The terms were so odious that only one applied during the prescribed time period, and others very slowy. John Ogden was the last in October 1678, and under protest.
John Ogden’s last several years are little known. His will was made December 21, 1681 and he died in May of 1682.
Little is known of his wife, Jane Bond. She is felt to have probably been the sister of Robert Bond, an associate of John Ogden in Southampton. She survived her husband and was executrix of his will. Her date of death is not known and their burial places aren’t recorded, but traditionally they would have been buried in the area immediately behind the church, in this case the First Presbyterian Church of Elizabeth. At the time of their deaths the church was a wooden structure and was replaced with a larger building in 1724. An addition was abuilt at the rear in 1766 and the church was burned by the British and Tories on the night of January 25th, 1780. It was rebuilt over the years 1780-1789. It is reasonable to speculate that their graves were in the area immediately behind the original church and that the markers were lost or destroyed over time.90